The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Keough deduction question Date:  4/10/2000  4:35 PM
Author:  Fernkiller Number:  33990 of 127754

See if this helps. Just take your net income from self-employment, subtract your deduction for 1/2 of the Self-employment tax, and multiply that by 20%.

Suppose you had $50,000 in net income, and you had a $6000 deduction for the SE tax. Subtract $3,000 (1/2 your deduction for the SE tax) from $50,000, and you get $47,000. Take 20% of that, and you get $9,400. That would be your Keogh contribution. You should get to the same number by walking through the IRS's procedure, but doing it that way it is very hard to see what is really going on. Perhaps someday the tax programs will address this problem. Every time I discover an overlooked business deduction that lowers my net income, I have to manually re-calculate the Keogh contribution. And, you don't want to over-contribute.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us