The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Canadian Investing / Canada - Microcaps

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/fool-canada-12381975.aspx

Subject:  Fool Canada Date:  4/11/2000  5:06 PM
Author:  TMFGekko Number:  1144 of 3296

Canadian Fools,

On behalf of TMF, I would like to thank all of the Canadian Fools for your continued and extraordinary committment in requesting more services for Canadian Fools. I know that we haven't always been as responsive to your needs as you would like, so I would like to lay out for you our thinking on how we plan to address your requests and the needs of Canadian Fools in general, and the reason why this still might take a bit more time for us to pull together.

First off, I have to say that there has always been strong interest here at the Fool in providing additional content and services for Canadian Fools. For us, there is no question of "if" we want to do international expansion into Canada, but "how" and "when." We have considered all of your suggestions and requests, including the ideas for integrating Canadian content and data into our main site, but we feel, as many of you do, that a dedicated Fool Canada site is a much better answer. Accordingly, we opted to add some folders to the international investing folder as a stopgap measure to provide you with additional real estate to call home, while we begin to plan for a more robust offering down the road.

While we would love to get something up quickly, we want to build a site the truly meets the investing needs of Canadian Fools, as well as reflects the best qualities of the US Fool. We also have to factor in the realities of our business, resource commitments to our expansion in Europe, and technical resources that can handle only so much geographic expansion at once. Expanding our European base of operations to our first foreign language site in Germany has also been a major focus of the past several months, and has meant some delay in planning for Canada.

Keeping these limitations in mind, we have over the last several months been speaking with a number of Canadian Fools from these boards, as well as a number of groups that have come forward with proposals to help us launch a Canadian Fool. With Germany under our belt, we plan to devote some additional time to settling on a Canadian team to manage our push Northward. Our first priority has been to identify a few writers capable of leading the editorial development of a Fool Canada. We are also talking to a number of business groups, potential partners and financial backers who have expressed interest in supporting an operation or joint venture. We are still working through these proposals, and are adding additional staff in our international department to help us manage this process as well as speed up our ability to launch into new markets.

As we continue to look for a creative and business team for Canada, I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who is interested in contributing to a Canadian Fool in any way. You may send notes directly to me at ericv@fool.com.

I'll crosspost this on all of the Canadian boards.

Fool on, eh!

Eric von Eckartsberg (TMFGekko)
International Operations Manager
The Motley Fool
ericv@fool.com

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us