The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/pixy-replies-quoti-wont-blast-away-instead-12409233.aspx

Subject:  Re: 5 Year Date:  4/15/2000  4:10 PM
Author:  jangle1 Number:  3555 of 19378

Pixy replies:
"I won't blast away. Instead, I'll just wish you the utmost of luck. And given your stated objective of a 40% annual return, I'll also wonder to myself what medication (leisure or prescribed) you are using. :-) It's possible I'm mistaken, and you expect a total return over the four years of 40%. If that's the case, I won't dispute you can do what you wish with ease."

You did read the number correctly, I'm using an annual rate of return of 40% to project the portfolio value out 4 years. As I previosly stated, if I don't achieve that rate of return I'll just have to keep working until the port is funded so that I'll only be using 4% as an annual draw, adjusted for inflation in future years.

The 5 year return for the mutual funds I mentioned in my previous post as of today are:

Janus Mercury: 36%
Janus Olympus: 40.5% since inception
Janus 20: 38.2%
Janus global Tech: 120% since inception
T. Rowe Price Science & Tech. 31.2%

But we are straying from the original theme of this thread, that is: Why have a 5 year cushion in bonds and money market?

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us