The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/home-office-for-2000-12424098.aspx

Subject:  Home office for 2000 Date:  4/18/2000  11:28 AM
Author:  dpierce1 Number:  34691 of 121572

Hi all, and thanks to all the experts...I was able to find lots of info here that helped me with 1999's return. Anyway, I'd like to actually plan ahead for taxes 2000 (what a concept!) and have home office questions:
I have 2 businesses: one with inventory, one without. I would like to set up part of my spare room as the office for my non-inventory business (hospital based, self employed physician) where I will do scheduling, continuing education, basic administrative stuff. With the new guidelines, I think I meet all of the requirements now.
I know the office space has to be exclusive, but does the computer I use have to be exclusive also? Would it be OK to buy a laptop and use it in my office for doctor stuff, then take it elsewhere to work on my inventory business? What about personal use of this computer? I don't expect to deduct the computer, but will that mess up the exclusivity of my office?
Also, since my inventory business is really small, the percentage of my mortgage, utilities, etc, would be almost nothing....I probably won't bother to claim a home office for that business. Am I missing some potential benefits? Thanks for any info, D.Pierce

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us