The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Foolish 401(k)s


Subject:  Re: 401k rollover to IRA Date:  4/27/2000  3:45 AM
Author:  rtowe Number:  7544 of 26116

A 401k is typically rolled into what is called a "conduit" or a "rollover" IRA. What this means is that if you take
money from a 401k and put it into a rollover IRA, you will then be able to transfer this money to a new employer's
401k at a future date if desired.

Hi, Bill;

Since you seem to be knowledgeable: If you quit a job with an 401K and roll it over to an IRA, 1) Is that permissible? 2) Can you keep your stock holdings as they are?

The company has a Schwab account that can trade in stocks for $29.95 and mutual funds for nothing. I have spent some money on the commissions, and made some stock purchases that I would like to keep, but don't know if that is allowed.

As I don't see myself in this same job for long, my question is simply: Can I just transfer this account from a 401K to an IRA?

Thanks in advance, especially if this question has already been answered (although I didn't find it).

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us