The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/all-these-iras-and-so-many-places-to-go-12487999.aspx

Subject:  All these IRAs and so many places to go Date:  4/28/2000  6:43 PM
Author:  punrein Number:  21640 of 75523

Hello All,

This is my first post, so I hope I don't sound too imbecilic! ;-)

Here's the deal: I've read the article "All About IRAs" on the fool. Based upon what I've read, and being only aged 32, it states that I would probably be better off transferring all of my old IRAs until a brand new ROTH IRA, one that I would manage myself. Sounds easy so far. Now, here's my situation:

I have a traditional IRA that I started with Primerica several years ago. Haven't touched it for many years, either. I have a rollover IRA from a 401K. I also have a ROTH IRA that I started in October 1998 until this board helped me realize (with some self-loathing here) that my investments were being eaten up by my naivete in investing with mutual funds (American Funds, to be more precise). With a front-end load around 5.25% and 12-b1 fees of .25%, I can certainly do better, and I want to.

Question:

1) Would I have to pay the capital gains that I made on all the old IRAs, or just the amounts initially invested?

2) Every time I move into a new 401K, should I transfer it into my ROTH, or should I just transfer it into another 401k?

3) If I transfer all these monies into a new ROTH IRA, could I still make the annual investment of $2000 for this year on top of all the transfer amounts?

Sorry for all these questions, but I want to make sure that I am doing the right thing (for a change)!

Thanks in advance for any help,

PUNREIN
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us