The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltim-not-retired-but-my-grandmother-just-died-12497576.aspx

Subject:  Re: ref living will Date:  5/1/2000  3:50 PM
Author:  telone Number:  3803 of 19218

<I'm not retired, but my grandmother just died last spring. She was not in the hospital for very long, but she had to be
transported to another midway through.
My dad was very surprized to discover that the papers expressing her wishes did not travel with her to the new venue. And by
then she was unable to execute a new draft. This was Michigan.

Just a word of warning.>

Similarly, we had an episode where my 88-yr relative went from the hospital for a two month stay at a nursing home. The "recommended" drug therapy by the doctor at the hospital did not accompany the patient to the nursing home leading to a "new" nursing home diagnosis and a potentially life-threatening drug therapy, only caught when we did a check at the nursing station and discovered the change because the hospital instructions "got lost." The moral: when the patient changes hospitals or goes from a hospital to a nursing home (or the reverse), DO NOT assume that the paperwork accompanies the patient. And, it also suggests that the relative (accompanying the patient) have a duplicate set of "papers" in the probable instances that the papers get "lost," or retained by the first institution so that they can be presented to the new institution.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us