The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks M / Microsoft Corp.

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/what-i-dont-get-12507533.aspx

Subject:  What I don't get. Date:  5/3/2000  8:58 AM
Author:  Sera1 Number:  33082 of 157244

What makes these arguments about MSFT so difficult to not only understand but to tolerate is this: the only complaints about this company comes from people in the industry who want to convince us that a.) MSFT never innovated a thing and b.) if it weren't for MSFT this field would be so much more innovative.

This is rather incredible because it hasn't been the consumer who has driven the need for more bandwidth, better graphics, a more user friendly GUI, voice recognition, a cheap operating system, better hardware, better software, bigger hard drives, etc, etc. Most consumers had no idea how technology could better their lives. Whoever thought that you could use the computer instead of your phone (telephony?) who ever thought that e-mail could become universal. Who ever thought that a 300 baud modem would not be enough or that Graphical interfaces could be fully utilized on the 'net. Who ever realized that html programming and pearl code could turn basically anyone into a “web designer” and web site developer?

I'm not sure how this field could be anymore innovative. In fact, in many cases it innovates too quickly for the average consumer who find themselves with obsolete computers after only two years. Before MSFT and Windows 98, in fact, you could count on paying at least $ 2,500 for a PC and, if you were a professional, investing at least $ 5- 10,000. in all the software and hardware, etc. that you'd need.

Today, you have no such problem. Prices have dropped, we can do more things on the internet