The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-wouldnt-have-to-sell-into-a-panic-market-as-i-12529329.aspx

Subject:  Re: Early retirement Date:  5/7/2000  1:18 AM
Author:  Canuckleheadtoo Number:  3850 of 19348

I wouldn't have to sell into a panic market as I expect to have cash on hand for at least a year of "top up" at any time. I also can live quite comfortably on just the pension income but couldn't do the extras like travel a lot. The top up to my pension is JUST for the extras, and all of them can be put on hold for a year or two if needed. I don't worry about getting hit with a major bear market for longer than 6-9 months since that is the historical average length. Although I am NOT a market timer, I do watch it quite closely and have taken some defensive moves over the last several months which protected me from a major drop over the last few weeks. I do trade regularly (6-10 trades a month) and have made adjustments to my portfolio as I felt they were warranted. I guess that what I was looking for, is a dialogue with others in the same position who have stocks, not mutual funds, and are researching them on an ongoing basis. Someone to recommend stocks for others to do their Due Diligence on. Some I like are APA, EMC, ORCL, AMAT, ADBE, and VSH. Anyone else got a few recos?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us