The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/you-dont-say-how-old-you-are-or-if-you-are-12590583.aspx

Subject:  Re: Cobra and beyond............ Date:  5/18/2000  12:29 PM
Author:  Leppert Number:  3975 of 19483

You don't say how old you are or if you are healthy. Those are very important criteria for determining if COBRA is a good idea. Your state Insurance Commissioner's office may offer a booklet on the subject of individual health insurance. There are also a number of sites on the web that offer quotes. If you have a good sized nest egg put aside and are healthy, you may want to choose an individual plan with a very high deductable-$5,000-10,000). With a deductable really high, you may get a cheaper plan than the COBRA-but be careful and do not go without insurance or drop your COBRA until you have a new policy in hand and have read the fine print. The only insurance that decreases with age is auto insurance so be aware that age is a very important rating factor. Make sure of the maximum benefits too as there are some garbage policies out there. My son goes off our group in Sep and I have really been searching for an individual plan for his last year of college and maybe a bit beyond. I sent for the application from one of the less expensive plans ($49 a mo.)and they want to know all prescribed and over the counter meds he's taken for the last 7 years! Amazing! Not a problem for us as we don't "do" over the counter stuff and rarely prescriptions, but it does give me pause to think about the underwriting process and God forbid the claim process...haven't made a decision yet and must do so w/in this next week. About 60-90 days to underwrite even a healthy young man.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us