The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks E / Echelon Corporation

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/wireless-asset-net-sys-incorporates-elon-12598154.aspx

Subject:  Wireless Asset Net Sys. incorporates ELON Date:  5/19/2000  2:21 PM
Author:  phan0054 Number:  4651 of 7423

thanks to Mike on the Raging Bull:

From Marketwatch:

...I.D. Systems Announces Wireless Asset Net(SM), An Interoperable LonWorks(R) System
PR Newswire - April 17, 2000 05:15

New Wireless Asset Tracking and Management System can be Integrated Seamlessly with Building, Industrial, and Transportation Systems

HACKENSACK, N.J., April 17 /PRNewswire/ -- I.D. Systems, Inc. (Nasdaq: IDSY) announced today the development of a new generation of the company's patented wireless asset tracking and management technology called Wireless Asset Net(SM). The new Wireless Asset Net system incorporates Echelon Corporation's (Nasdaq: ELON) LonWorks(R) platform, the leading standard for networking everyday devices, to provide a state-of-the art networked system for tracking and managing corporate assets. The Wireless Asset Net will provide a LonMark(R) compatible interface, enabling it to work with LonMark interoperable products from hundreds of other manufacturers. As a result, Wireless Asset Net will integrate real-time asset control, location tracking, and status monitoring with varied corporate systems for manufacturing, building, mail sorting, transportation, and other areas. This integration will create new opportunities for businesses to improve cost efficiency, augment security, reduce operating expenses, and increase profitability.

Commenting on the significance of the development, Ken Ehrman, president of I.D. Systems, said, "Our current system for tracking and managing assets utilizes intelligent, programmable devices attached to each asset. These devices, called Asset Communicators, enable two-way wireless communications between the asset and network-connected devices called System Monitors. By incorporating LonWorks interfaces into our system, we are expanding the system's interoperability with a broad range of other corporate systems. Asset data collected and managed by our system will be shared with other LonWorks devices throughout a facility, and data from other LonWorks devices will be shared with our system. This data will also be exchanged through Echelon's i.LON(TM) 1000 Internet Server from anywhere in the world over the Internet. In addition, our system will be able to incorporate the growing array of LonWorks middleware applications. With this significantly enhanced interoperability, our system is transformed into a Wireless Asset Net.

"We are particularly excited about the Wireless Asset Net because it will enable new end-to-end solutions for our current customers and open entirely new markets for I.D. Systems," continued Mr. Ehrman. "For example, one of our current systems provides real-time control over, and communications with, forklifts and other material handling vehicles. By adding a LonMark interface and integrating the i.LON Server, our Wireless Asset Net system will offer new functionality and benefits. A machine in a production line, for instance, could send a message automatically through the Wireless Asset Net to a particular forklift, instructing the driver to bring a specific quantity of a particular raw material to the machine for just-in-time replenishment. This type of direct asset-to-asset communication will speed up operational processes, increase efficiencies, and reduce costs."

Paula Skokowski, LonMark executive director, said "The Wireless Asset Net, with its patented wireless asset tracking architecture, opens up a number of exciting new application opportunities for other LonMark partners and products. We are very pleased to welcome I.D. Systems to the LonMark Interoperability Association."

About I.D. Systems, Inc.

Based in Hackensack, New Jersey, I.D. Systems, Inc. is a leading provider of open, standards-based networked systems for tracking and managing corporate assets. The company's customers include DaimlerChrysler Corp., Dana Commercial Credit Corp., Federal Express Corp., Ford Motor Co., General Motors Corp., Hallmark Cards, Inc., QVC, Inc., and the U.S. Postal Service. The Wireless Asset Net will enable such companies to control and track the location and status of their assets -- from letters and containers to forklifts and railcars -- in real time. From a central location or anywhere in the world across the Internet, the Wireless Asset Net will make businesses run better.

For information on-line, visit I.D. Systems at http://www.id-systems.com and Echelon at http://www.echelon.com.

Wireless Asset Net and the I.D. Systems, Inc. logo are trademarks of I.D. Systems, Inc. Echelon, LonWorks, LonMark, the LonMark logo, and the Echelon logo are trademarks of Echelon Corporation registered in the United States and other countries. i.LON is a trademark of Echelon Corporation.

"Safe Harbor" statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995: This press release contains forward-looking statements that are subject to risk and uncertainties, including, but not limited to, the impact of competitive products, product demand and market acceptance risks, fluctuations in operating results and other risks detailed from time to time in the Company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. These risks could cause the Company's actual results for the current Fiscal Year and beyond to differ materially from those expressed in any forward-looking statements made by, or behalf of, the company.

SOURCE I.D. Systems, Inc.

/CONTACT: Jeffrey Jagid, COO, or Ned Mavrommatis, CFO, both of I.D.
Systems, Inc., 201-670-9000, jjagid@id-systems.com/

/Web site: http://www.id-systems.com

http://www.echelon.com/

(IDSY ELON)

Copyright 1996-2017 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us