The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: IRS wants more $ - Question Date:  5/30/2000  2:08 PM
Author:  TaxGuru Number:  36087 of 127534

On your tax return, you showed that you had mailed them some money as estimated tax payments during the year, normally with Form 1040ES. As often happens, IRS either lost the money or misapplied it.

You will need to get your canceled checks for those payments and send IRS copies of the front and back sides of each check. You may even be able to solve the mystery yourself if you check the coode numbers imprinted on the back of your canceled checks. You should see your social security number and the year it was applied to. What I have seen often, if you fail to write the proper year on the face of your check, IRS will apply the payment to the wrong year for you. You then have to formally request that they transfer to the money to the proper year.

Good luck.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us