The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Capital gain taxes on non-IRA account? Date:  5/31/2000  8:59 PM
Author:  huskyItalian Number:  36143 of 127512

I am not eligible for an IRA account, since Im currently unemployed. But recently I was fortunate enough to get some money to invest. I invested in a regular (non tax deferred) Schwab Discount Broker account, which I plan to hold for the long term (at lesast 10 years)

So, do I have to calculate and pay Capital Gains taxes every year, even though I'm not going to sell the stocks?

The same question goes for the dividends that I am going to reinvest right back in the stocks?

Thanks for your help!
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us