The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/while-the-issue-of-roth-ira-money-being-taxed-via-12682692.aspx

Subject:  Re: Still don't know whether to convert to Roth Date:  6/5/2000  10:59 AM
Author:  toastinator Number:  22373 of 75833

While the issue of Roth IRA money being taxed via a national sales tax is valid, I don't personnally think it is likely that the income tax will be abolished in my life time.

Also, it was argued that the only consideration is the tax bracket you are in now versus what tax bracked you suspect that you will be in when you retire. I would add that another issue is that by rolling your money to a Roth IRA, you are effectively contributing more to your retirement. Thus even if you would be paying the same tax rate when you retire as you are now, by contributing more now ($1700) you will have more money when you retire.

Another angle that has not been addressed is as follows. I have been told that a 'rollover' to a Roth IRA can be spread out over several years. So, if you feel you cannot afford to rollover your entire IRA now, you can go proceed as follows. Open a Roth IRA, Put $2000 in per year, and if you can afford it, roll over an additional sum from your IRA. (Say $1000 per year, till completed).

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us