The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-thought-i-would-add-my-002-to-this-debate-i-12692439.aspx

Subject:  Re: Still don't know whether to convert to Roth Date:  6/6/2000  7:36 PM
Author:  bruceg17 Number:  22419 of 74759

I thought I would add my $0.02 to this debate. I recently left a job where I had a small amount of money invested in the 401k. As such, I also debated what to do with it. I opted for converting to the Roth because I am 29 (lot's of time to grow) and I have savings to pay for the taxes now. My financial planner said that the tax hit now at 28% would hopefully be lower than my retirement tax bracket. Man, I hope he is right! It's a calculated risk. Ultimately you have to do what makes you comfortable (i.e. you can sleep at night). If you are unsure, it might make sense to take the advise from an earlier post and convert gradually to reduce the tax penalty today and allow you to save for your house. Good luck with your decision.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us