The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/getting-cash-from-a-stock-portfolio-12720913.aspx

Subject:  Getting cash from a stock portfolio Date:  6/12/2000  1:29 AM
Author:  boib Number:  4195 of 19371

I have always put money into the market. A dollar here a dollar there over the years has added up to a portfolio of about 200K. Now that I'm about to retire I want to take some money out.

It sounds fairly simple with a 200K portfolio to have an income of $1000 per month. A withdrawal rate of ½ of 1 % each month or 6% per year. Where I have a problem is how to convert this to a steady income stream. My portfolio has 10 holdings fairly evenly balanced. Some pay dividends some don't . I hold a Foolish 4 screen as four holdings and 2 MI screens which I consider 1 holding each. The remaining 4 holdings are MSFT NOK and 2 Canadian Companies. ( I'm Canadian… different cap gains and dividend taxation)

Any suggesstions as how I can manage an income stream. I have considered going to one or two index funds and setting up a periodic withdrawal program but don't really want to give up the potential additional returns I might get with the portfolio I am holding now.

I trade the MI screens quarterly but it looks like a loosing quarter when I rebalance this month. Also my F4 stocks didn't fair to well this year and I'm due to rebalance at the end of June. Right now I'm down 17% and will possibly hold Cat and EK and sell Sears at a loss and GM at a small profit.

I am comfortable holding 100% equities. Just looking for suggestions as to how I get cash out.

Thanks in advance

Boib.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us