The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-rolled-over-40000-of-a-401k-plan-into-a-self-12726737.aspx

Subject:  Re: First timer trying to rollover in IRA! Date:  6/13/2000  1:13 AM
Author:  skating1girl Number:  22514 of 74759

I rolled over $40,000 of a 401k plan into a self directed IRA at Charles Schwab. It's really simple--I just went to one of their offices and filled out the paperwork; then I directed the administrator of my 401k plan to mail me a check made out to Charles Schwab with my IRA as the beneficiary. I brought them the check and started doing some homework on investing. I now have bought 6 companies,giving me $30,000 in stock and I still have about $15,000 in cash in that IRA. But I was in all cash from January until May---when I was ready to buy, all I had to do was log in to their site one evening and put in an order: it was executed first thing the next morning. So just do it--it's easy--but remember, unless you really want to be hit with a big tax penalty--IRA and 401k $$ can't be touched until the age of 59.5
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us