The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  NOT taking a tax credit Date:  6/14/2000  8:57 AM
Author:  jackalope29 Number:  36550 of 127519

OK this might sound foolish (the bad kind), but please bear (or bull as the case may be) with me.

I reside abroad and my income does not exceed the foreign income exclusion. As a result I have no adjusted gross income from which to contribute to my Roth IRA. Being foolish (the good kind) I know the importance of contributing to an IRA. Thus, last year I returned to the US and earned $2000 in taxable income.

Great I can do my Roth. But alas, Turbo Tax calculates that I have a negative adjusted gross income since I qualify for some foreign tax credit (form 2555).

My question is can I just ignore this tax credit? I really prefer to make my IRA contribution. Also any help on this credit would be helpful. I just filled out the questions on Turbo Tax and it found this credit. Something to do with my low income abroad and housing credits???

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us