The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Education, Jobs & Professions / Military Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-agree-that-in-some-cases-people-leave-the-12736288.aspx

Subject:  Re: After the Military.... Date:  6/14/2000  3:01 PM
Author:  jtmitch Number:  2831 of 38212

I agree that in some cases people leave the military after 3 or 4 years and step right back into where they were when they left. However, lots of people are able to get education, training and experience in the service that puts them light years ahead of where they were when they enlisted. The probability of getting out and stepping into a good job is higher for someone who had the good fortune to get technical training in a field that is relevant to the outside. In other words, electronics technicians are probably better off than gunners mates when it comes to looking for a job. I've seen other people do more than the minimum 3 or 4 years because that opens the door to more training since the service can get a longer return on their investment. For example, if they enlist for 4 years they get training as an operator; if they enlist for 6 they get training as both an operator and a maintainer, thus increasing their skill set. When they stay a little longer, they generally get to a higher pay grade where they are able to cultivate leadership and management skills. And if the only alternative is to return to a dead-end job, why not reenlist, work at becoming a senior NCO, a warrant or an LDO and retire into a second career with a solid skill set and probably at least an associates degree earned in the service?

I don't disagree that a new GI Bill type arrangement wouldn't be great, but I think you paint too bleak a picture of what opportunities there are even without one.

jtmitch

jtmitch
Copyright 1996-2017 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us