The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Birds of a Feather / Pet Lovers

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/as-i-posted-earlier-i-found-the-1st-tick-ive-ever-12737836.aspx

Subject:  Re: Removing Ticks Date:  6/14/2000  7:03 PM
Author:  LucyM Number:  5746 of 123217

As I posted earlier I found the 1st tick I've ever seen on my dog last weekend. Fortunately I have a dog first aid booklet in my medicine cabinet & it said to soak the tick with alcohol or tick/flea poison then pull it slowly out with tweezers making sure you get the tweezers as close to the skin as possible. (I also used a magnifying glass. That tick remover gadget sounds great!) Then swab the animals skin with alcohol. My Belgian Malinoux Shepard (mix) was so good, but then she is overall a very well behaved, smart dog. Just a bit too protective.
The first aid booklet also said to drop the tick in a small jar of alcohol & keep it to show your Vet in case your pet gets sick.
I don't live in a rural or woodsy area and can't quite figure out where she picked it up. How long do they stay on a pet? We were visiting a more rural area a week or so earlier. Thanks everyone for sharing all the information that you do....you're a good group.
Lucy
Copyright 1996-2017 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us