The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Trad to Roth IRA for this yr? Date:  6/17/2000  6:03 PM
Author:  jobobb Number:  22692 of 88435

Pixy sayeth:
Well, you're too late to correct your 1998 contributions, but you have plenty of time to recharacterize both your 1999 and 2000 contributions. For details see the discussion beginning on page 41 of IRS Publication 590 (Individual Retirement Arrangements) available at
You have until the due date of your income tax return (including extensions) for the year of a contribution to recharacterize that contribution (i.e., change a contribution to traditional IRA as one made to a Roth IRA or vice versa). Therefore, you have until October 15, 2000 to change the 1999 contributions and until October 15, 2001 to change the 2000 contributions as ones made to a Roth instead of a traditional. Read the reference and check with your IRA provider to learn how to do so.

Will do! Pixy, I knew you'd come through - you're a gem.

Now that I know I have the option to recharacterize those funds, I still have to decide whether it really makes sense for me to do so - but luckily this board has lots of info on that subject, much of it provided by you.

Thanks again!
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us