The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Dependent Care plans & the IRS Date:  6/20/2000  4:28 PM
Author:  ak4cea Number:  36740 of 127549

Two weeks ago a read through some of the articles from the Fool on Child Care and Dependent Care plans. I need some clarification on whether I can itemize the amount of my child care costs that are well above the $4800 my school district allows us to withdrawl into our Dependent Care plan account.

This is the scenario. I am going to withdrawl $480 a month for ten months into a child care account for a total of $4800. But, my child care costs could easily reach $8000 for the year. Can I itemize the $3200 on my tax form since this amount was not part of the Dependent Care withdrawl plan?

Someone who knows these issues well, please explain that I can do both or if I should just itemize the entire amount and stay away from the Dependent Care plan.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us