The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools


Subject:  Re: paying too much on taxes?? Date:  6/22/2000  1:21 PM
Author:  fjcleary Number:  4273 of 20599

I think you and your grandmother need to do a very careful analysis of reports over the last several years. It sounds to me that, not only are there undesireable tax consequences, but also excessive buying and selling to increase fees. I believe that is called churning. The reports should list the fees paid, but they can be buried so you need to look carefully. With this analysis, your grandmother can decide to change advisors(if she has that option) or go to her advisor and discuss the problem and get a response. Be sure to request that the advisor put his or her response to your issues in writing. Even in situations where the advisor is named in a will or a trust, this can be changed if the advisor is not behaving appropriately. You need a lawyer, but it often is not that difficult to do, particularly if you have evidence that the management is not in the best interest of your grandmother.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us