The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/just-6-mo-to-go-12782632.aspx

Subject:  Just 6 Mo. to go!! Date:  6/22/2000  5:13 PM
Author:  gingerfff Number:  22795 of 75383

Hi everyone:

I'm new to this site; though I have been lurking for several months. I've heard lots of very useful information on this and other boards that I read.

Right know I'm need to make a decision, and thought this would be a good place to start looking for info.

I'm going to retire the end of January 2001 at 59 1/2. I work for a public school in Massachusetts and am currently investing into a TSA (IdS-American Express). I'm not very happy with it's results; I've also been reading a lot here about Annuities not being so great.

With only 6 mo. left of full time employment, is it too late to invest in a Roth IRA for the 2000 year, in place of my TSA. I do not have a Roth IRA now, only a regular IRA. If I do go the route of a Roth, I would like to invest in vanguard 500 index. Any suggestions.

Also, when I retire, I will be getting a lump sum of around $8000. That will do a job on my taxes. Any way around that? Thanks all.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us