The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/drppinfool-asks-this-is-a-shameless-request-for-12788827.aspx

Subject:  Re: IRA Distribution Penalty Exception Date:  6/23/2000  3:18 PM
Author:  intercst Number:  22813 of 74759

drppinfool asks,

This is a shameless request for tax advice. I'd like some feedback on whether I'm doing this correctly. I plan to start taking distributions from my traditional IRA under the so-called "annuity" exception. I have the value of my IRA as of 12/31/99, and I plan to use the joint life expectancy from the tables in IRS Pub 590. The divisor I get based on our ages as of 12/31/00 is 38.7 (I'll be 51, she'll be 50). My reading of the instructions is that I simply divide the value of my IRA (no adjustments) by 38.7 to get the required distribution for the first year. For subsequent years, I simply refigure the joint life expectancy divisor from the same tables using our ages as of our birthdays for those years. Is it that simple? Am I missing something? Thanks for any help.

Yes it's that simple. But the method you describe is the life expectancy or "minimum" method, not the annuity method.

Also when you take the distribution next year you'll use your 12/31/2000 IRA balance to make the calculation.

intercst
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us