The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Education, Jobs & Professions / Military Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quothe-is-still-very-close-to-the-same-level-12790372.aspx

Subject:  Re: After the Military.... Date:  6/23/2000  6:57 PM
Author:  kaigun Number:  2908 of 37590

"He is still very close to the same level that he was at when he first joined the U.S. Navy four years ago."

This holds true for officers as well. When i left active duty in the late 80's, most businesses wanted to put me in the same category as a recent college graduate, even though I had 10 years of service. This may have been due in part to the significant reductions in "middle management" that was taking place throughout commercial industry, but was also part of the mindset that discounts non-specific experience. That is, if you haven't done "X" before, we are not going to hire you to do "X" or to manage "X".

Only recently have some firms, particularly younger, more entrepreneurial companies, and start-ups, have come to realize the value of a military background. The ability to take care of one's subordinates translates into getting the most out of them. Technical whiz kids have not proven very adept at this, by and large, and a more mature leadership style is often needed to bring that high pressure, tight deadline project to a successful close on time and within budget.

Just some thoughts. . .

Tom
Kaigun Chusa
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us