The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/greetings-oldpurdie-and-welcome-you-asked-12806412.aspx

Subject:  Re: I Bonds Date:  6/27/2000  6:36 AM
Author:  TMFPixy Number:  4294 of 19262

Greetings, Oldpurdie, and welcome. You asked:

<<The question remains: can you now buy and redeem I Bonds in banks other than the Federal Reserve?>>

According to the Bureau of Public Debt: "You can buy I Bonds from most banks, credit unions, or savings institutions. These institutions accept funds and purchase orders and forward the order to a Federal Reserve Bank where the bonds are issued and mailed according to your instructions. You should receive your bonds within 15 business days and the bonds begin earning interest from the first day of the month in which you buy the bond. If you're buying a bond as a last-minute gift, ask the teller for a free gift certificate! "

For redemptions, that agency says: "You can cash your I Bonds at most local financial institutions. The bonds must be at least six months old and you must be able to identify yourself as the owner, co-owner, or other entitled person. "

Regards..Pixy

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us