The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/457-tax-deferred-varible-annuity-12810456.aspx

Subject:  457 tax-deferred varible annuity Date:  6/27/2000  5:28 PM
Author:  bpike Number:  22931 of 89421

I have a question about retirement investment strategies. I am currently employed by a City government. The City has set up a 457 deferred compensation plan through Lincoln Financial Group. This plan is a tax-deferred variable annuity with over 28 different choices of sub-accounts offered. All of the sub-accounts are managed by respectable companies and have posted decent returns. Very few however, have been able to outperform the S&P. The 457 plan is somewhat different than a “qualified annuity” in that when I leave the City I am able to withdraw my money without any penalties.

I have always been skeptical about annuities and have hesitated to enroll in the program. I have been making contributions to DRIP accounts and to my Roth IRA but now I'm wondering if I should take advantage of the tax-deferred savings? I can contribute up to $8,000.00 a year into this plan and that would certainly make a difference. I am trying to decide whether I should enroll in the plan. I don't expect anyone to make a decision for me I am just looking for good information from Fools!

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us