The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Setup of plan at work Date:  7/2/2000  8:52 AM
Author:  TMFPixy Number:  23015 of 88540

Greetings, Bowlingsaid, and welcome. You wrote:

<<I own a small company with about 5 employees. I wish to setup a tax deferred investing vehicle that will allow me to sock away more than the annual 2k that the Roth limits me to. What vehicle whould I look to set up at work for me and my employees. We are a C corp and the problem with 401 and the like are that I cannot meet the top heavy restrictions. They would not put away as much as I want to...>>

As a small employer, you may wish to establish a SEP, SIMPLE or Keogh plan for your firm. All three will allow you to contribute substantially more than an IRA to your tax deferred retirement plan. For an overview of each, see my Foolish Retirement Plan Primer at You should also get and read IRS Publication 560 (Retirement Plans for Small Business) available at


Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us