The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/planning-help-please-12846590.aspx

Subject:  planning help, please Date:  7/4/2000  4:17 PM
Author:  donsplace Number:  4376 of 19224

I'm newly retired. No pensions.
My SS is about $900/mo which covers our expenses (taxes, insurances, utilities, auto). My wife's $770 SS will start coming in next year.
Our $150K house is f&c.
Assets are mostly in Vang., Janus and Price funds, as well as some in AIM and Putnam.
I also have about 60K in various 'good' equities - 'good', as in HD, Walmart, Citigroup, MSFT, HON, P&G, Dial, and a bunch of other sorry issues.
At last count (12/99 statements) everything totaled just about at $400K. Where they are now, I can't say - afraid to look!
I'll be selling my house in a year or so, and pretty much transferring that money into a new house we're planning.
Now for the questions:
When we decide to begin using our savings, how should we do that? Income from bonds?
The taxes, if we sell, will be a killer. Suppose we use the IRA and 410K equity funds to build a 'laddered' bond portfolio and draw from that? Does that make sense? Is it do-able?
It's nice enough to have $400K or so built up, but preserving the value while trying to get to a position of using the money seems to be a real ponderable.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.
If you want to contact me directly, I'm at
DONSPLACE @JUNO.COM
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us