The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/provo06-wrote-this-is-probably-the-dumbest-12848126.aspx

Subject:  Re: Just Retired Date:  7/5/2000  12:47 AM
Author:  intercst Number:  4385 of 19483

Provo06 wrote,

This is probably the dumbest question to ever hit the board but here goes. I just retired three days ago and in two weeks I am going to turn over my life savings to a guy who works for an investment group. He is going to invest my money into five Enterprise Mutual Funds and one Janus Fund. I was just looking around this Website and came across this Mutual Fund Cost Calculator. I punched in the funds that I am going to be invested in and the total cost of holding these funds according to the calculator looks ridiculous (high). Now I am wondering if I should go through with this. I honestly don't think that this is something that I can tackle myself like I'm sure that most of you people could. Am I doing the right thing? Thanks a million for your help.

If you haven't had time to research this stuff yet, just put the money in a low-fee index fund Like Vanguard's S&P500 index fund. There's an 80% to 90% chance that will beat anything your "advisor" does for you -- largely because you're eliminating the "ridiculously high fees."

intercst
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us