The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/greetings-mellowdeee-and-welcome-you-wrote-12848528.aspx

Subject:  Re: New job, no 401K for 1 year Date:  7/5/2000  6:54 AM
Author:  TMFPixy Number:  23086 of 75610

Greetings, Mellowdeee, and welcome. You wrote:

<<401K benefits at my new job are not available until after a year with the company. Any advice on putting retirement money aside until I'm eligible for my company's plan? I already have a Roth IRA. Also, when a year rolls around, will I be able to rollover the money that is still in my old employer's 401K? Everything I've read says you can roll money over from old to new 401K plan, but is there a time limit or some sort of window that this has to be done in? >>

You're already using an IRA, so unless you choose to invest in an annuity (yuk!) of some sort, then all that's left is an ordinary taxable account for your investments until you may join the 401k plan. As to moving your old 401k money to the new plan, that depends solely on your current employer's plan itself. There is no law that says your new plan MUST accept the money, only that it can. To see if and when you may move those funds, check with the plan administrator at your new employer.

Regards..Pixy

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us