The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltlt-ltlt-say-i-own-100-shares-of-company-12894769.aspx

Subject:  Re: Wash sale rule question and capital losses Date:  7/11/2000  11:28 PM
Author:  cst3e Number:  37381 of 121434

<< << Say I own 100 shares of company D, a relatively undifferentiated firm with several public competitors with very similar businesses. The stocks of all these firms move pretty much in tandem. Lets say company D is down 30% from where I bought it. If I sold the shares of company D and put that money immediately into a similar competitor whose shre price is down 27%, am I in danger of running afoul of the wash sale rule? >> >>

<< No. This is not a wash sale. The fact that the two companies are in the same sector doesn't make their stocks substantially similar. >>

This brings up a question I had. Is it considered a wash sale if you have a cap. loss after selling a call/put option and then buy the underlying stock within the 30 day period?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us