The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltltthis-brings-up-a-question-i-had-is-it-12902754.aspx

Subject:  Re: Wash sale rule question and capital losses Date:  7/12/2000  7:53 PM
Author:  TMFTaxes Number:  37404 of 121106

<<This brings up a question I had. Is it considered a wash sale if you have a cap. loss after selling a call/put option and then buy the underlying stock within the 30 day period?>>

Potentially yes...depending upon how the transaction is structured. But now things can get pretty complicated. So without a specific example, I hesitate to provide any "rule of thumb".

Where the wash sale rule is applied because of the acquisition of an option or a contractual right (or obligation) to buy property identical to the property sold at a loss, and the option or right expires unexercised, the previously disallowed loss will presumably be allowed as of the date of such expiration.

In the case of a call option, this results from the application of the rules set forth above relating to options transactions. Where a deep-in-the-money put is granted, the gain realized when the option expires will apparently be set off against the loss sustained on the sale of the stock.

TMF Taxes
Roy
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us