The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: International Student Date:  7/15/2000  4:00 PM
Author:  WPatch Number:  37515 of 127753

[I am currently studying in the US and have stock investments here. I am on an F-1 visa and have worked here as a student so I have a social security number.

My question is how do I get taxed and what do you believe is the best way to organise for minimum taxes?]

I general a student in the U.S. on an F series visa is exempt from consideration as a resident alien. Therefore you would be taxed as a non-resident alien.

Non-resident aliens who are required to file file Form 1040NR. Divedends should be withheld at 30% at source(or lower treaty rate).

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us