The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: 401K question Date:  7/19/2000  1:26 AM
Author:  phooley Number:  23474 of 88495

My employer somtimes lists my 401 contributions as after tax contributions... If I leave my employer ... the money will be sent directly to me and will be able to be placed directly in to a roth...

Hmmm.... guess my "to do with as you choose" was a poor choice of words. It's like finding money in the bottom of a drawer or under your mattress. You can use it to buy a DVD player, or take a trip to the Bahamas, or invest in stocks in a long-term buy-and-hold account. Or, all of the above.

I can see why you might like to put it all into a Roth IRA, but as TMFPixy has pointed out, no-can-do -- except for up to $2,000 if you are eligible (plus the possibility of a similar amount for a spouse).

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us