The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/in-need-of-hand-holding-12966830.aspx

Subject:  In need of hand-holding Date:  7/20/2000  7:59 PM
Author:  rfoster Number:  23518 of 75381

I'm trying to figure out if I am saving at the right rate to retire comfortably.

I'm only 25 and I know there are others who didnt start saving until they were 60, but I have this money phobia thing...and I dont think cat food tastes very good, not even the Fancy Feast kind.

I'm in a career track where I cant expect a 401K or pension - not self employed and I switch jobs too often. Plus I have NO FAITH that the Social Security will be there for me. I've put in the $2000 per year (2 yrs) that the IRA allows and I have another fund that I also try and put the $2000 into (3 yrs), and I also DRP with Pfizer at $50 per month..part of me feels like I should be doing more.

If anyone knows a calulator or worksheet out there when I can throw in the numbers and have it spit something out for "if you keep saving at the same rate you will have XX amount in 30 years" or something like that.

I know this is silly, but did I mention how I feel about Fancy Feast?

Thank you in advance!

PS. If anyone also knows of a list of SUPER DRPs - companies that let you buy the first share with them AND dont charge on regular purchases - I would appreciate it also! (There are so many great stocks, why not choose among the ones that are the best plans??)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us