The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/im-torn-between-all-the-different-ways-to-save-13000786.aspx

Subject:  Re: Your Money or Your Life Date:  7/25/2000  9:58 PM
Author:  AliFool Number:  13741 of 740912

I'm torn between all the different ways to save. I'm looking for a fee-only financial advisor to help with taxation and other issues facing a couple about to combine assets (and debts... and LIVES!), but in the meantime, perhaps you're willing to advise:

Me: maxing 401K and get match, maxing ESPP, have old IRA from former jobs, paying monthly on econo-car and small student loan, no cc debt. Tiny 1-stock DRIP but not contributing more. Own tiny amount of stock outside retirement accounts. Have some cash, but not much -- saving for downpayment on modest home w/ no immediate plan to buy but strong desire.

Fiance: A bit to 401K but no match, no ESPP, no Roth (but has old IRA from former jobs), paid off car, paid a small amount for early exercise of company stock (to minimize future taxes), paying off ccs very aggressively, but there's still significant debt there.

We don't live very extravagantly, but we also don't put EVERY cent away for ER. We go to weddings (travel and gift costs), cultural events, movies, dinners out, etc. We try to maximize value and minimize cost in these areas. Most dinners and movies are at half-off, etc. We shop sales, etc.

Any advice for fine-tuning?

Thanks. You are my heros!

--AF
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us