The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/401k-please-help-novice-investor-13023275.aspx

Subject:  401k - Please help novice investor Date:  7/28/2000  3:08 PM
Author:  MensaWhiteTrash Number:  4641 of 19022

Many years ago I got burned with two mutual funds and a limited partnership, and I swore off investing. However, my husband turns 50 this year, and we thought it might be time to consider a 401k. His company offers 11 different Vanguard funds, and kicks in 50% (in company stock). He's worked for the same company for 23 years, so his pension will be fairly good. Before now, our retirement "plan" was to pay down the mortgage. We currently have no debt and about $80,000 in home equity. My question: since his company's contribution to the 401k is all company stock, what should we include in our portfolio? Vanguard 500 Index Fund is one choice we have, as well as various other Vanguard stock, bond and money market funds. (As for retirement age: we have no idea. Could be in 5 years. Could be in 25 years. We have no children, so college tuition and heirs are not a concern.) Thank you very much for your help.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us