The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: 457Plan Date:  7/29/2000  7:55 AM
Author:  TMFPixy Number:  23768 of 88766

Greetings, Sunny, and welcome. You wrote:

<<I received my ex-husband's 457 money in our divorce settlement. I know I can't touch the money until he separates from his employer. It is my understanding that when this happens, I will receive a lump sum settlement. This fund is well in the 6 figure area and will probably grow considerably in the next 10 years before I expect he will retire. The tax bill will be considerable and will certainly cut into my retirement funds. Does anyone out there know any way around this??>>

There is absolutely no way to avoid taxation on the distribution of a 457 plan to you. The plan, though, might afford you the opportunity to take the money over time. Many 457 plans will allow annual installments from two to fifteen years. If so, that would tend to lessen the overall tax bill to you compared to taking it all in a total cash payment. You should check with the plan administrator to see if that's possible in your case.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us