The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltltthere-is-no-doubt-in-my-mind-that-i-want-13035850.aspx

Subject:  Re: How I Live on More Than 22K Per Year Date:  7/31/2000  3:25 AM
Author:  SeattlePioneer Number:  14244 of 757902

<<There is no doubt in my mind that I want to retire early, and move from the day-to-day hassle that's corporate America. However, there will be a significant period of time (say, 10 years) between now and when I retire. I am going to wring every bit of "early retirement" out of this decade that I can, while still being employed.

>>

Ooooh! Good point.

Personally, I went through a twenty year period of maximizing my income, savings and investments.

Now, I don't need to do that anymore. I am going to continue working, but on the terms that I wish to the greatest extent possible.

It sounds as though you have options and flexibility in how you construct your word day, week, month and year. Taking advantage of that flexibility sounds like an interesting plan.

Applying for a sabbatical, leaves of absence, stringing out maternity leaves, family leave and so on could probably be carried out to rather dramatic levels by a determined employee. (How an employer can ever keep track of Federally mandated family leave is more than I could understand.)

I suppose you would risk losing favored job assignements and bonuses and such if you employed this strategy in a way that attracted the annoyance of the powers that be.

But heck! If it became too stressful, you could get a note from a doctor and take an additional week or month off work until you felt better, I suppose.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us