The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/to-me-its-not-worth-moving-the-early-retirement-13037995.aspx

Subject:  Re: How I Live on More Than 22K Per Year Date:  7/31/2000  1:17 PM
Author:  kogrady Number:  14272 of 753827

To me, it's not worth moving the early retirement date in, at the expense of my peace of mind now. And by not sacrificing
too much today for later rewards, I am able to maintain my quality of life while putting off freedom until such date as I can
achieve the same level of comfort in retirement.

There's a balance here... finding the right level of sacrifice now, while maintaining a high quality of life and providing for
the future.

I will be able to retire in a couple of months, at the age of 47 after a career spanning 26 years, by living a financial life similar to what you outline above (and some good fortune in the stock market).

I always maxed out my 401(k) contributions, paid myself first, bought on sale, used coupons religiously, and traveled economy class. I've been on some incredible trips, drove decent, well maintained cars, lived in nice places, enjoyed dinner out at least once a week, happy hours with friends, and latte's at Starbucks on occasion, and even managed to raise a kid. I don't feel like I sacrificed a thing, I was just smart, and lived below my means. You're right, balance is the key.

--kogrady
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us