The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-never-quite-understood-why-many-of-us-as-13054329.aspx

Subject:  Re: How I Live on More Than 22K Per Year Date:  8/2/2000  4:26 PM
Author:  backslash Number:  14457 of 757478

I have never quite understood why many of us as "Americans" feel that all our dreams and goals have to be the same.

Good point. I was just talking about this to my daughter. I was trying to help her see that I had dreams, many of which are pretty wild, and others that are fairly normal. I set goals in my life to accomplish the steps that lead me to those dreams. The goals are simple, measurable, and achievable, and once they are reached, I move on to the next goal. Some of my dreams are low enough priority that I will never achieve them. But if I want to achieve them, they will be accomplished by reaching the goals I develop as steps along the way. I don't think it's just Americans that have this problem, although I do think our TV and image based society helps people confuse the two. It's the same process by which people confuse what they think they are owed with what they have earned through their own effort.

Harley
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us