The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltlt-going-out-with-friends-and-buying-13081550.aspx

Subject:  Re: Mom, How do I Live Below My Means? Date:  8/7/2000  1:34 PM
Author:  tsouth Number:  14821 of 734565

<<- going out with friends and buying presents for friends and family birthdays, Christmas, etc. Talked about that a little. Not too much, because she knows these are weak areas. But it is very hard to not go when the whole group wants to go to an expensive restaurant. I suggested a contest to find the best local cheap restaurant.>>

A few years ago when I was single and living in Silicon Valley, going out to eat at a relatively pricey establishment was a popular way to socialize. It didn't take me long to realize that I couldn't afford to pay that much for dinner all of the time, but I did enjoy visiting with my friends. The solution was to occasionally have a pre-dinner at home by myself or go out to fast food with a like-minded friend before going on to the the main event, where we would order a soda or sometimes dessert.

Teresa
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us