The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  hiring a family member Date:  8/7/2000  7:47 PM
Author:  cshang Number:  38525 of 127549

A while ago I got a email about the tax issues for
hiring and paying family members. My mother is staying
with me now and I am considering paying her for some
household work. She has not worked in U.S. long enough
to get Medicare or Social Security benefit. How much
do I need to pay her to allow her work at my home be
credited for future social security or medicare
benefit? Is there any legal problem in this? How
should I set this up with IRS or other agencies?

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us