The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  401(k) withdrawals Date:  8/13/2000  10:44 AM
Author:  retdigger Number:  38673 of 127753

One of the ways to get around paying a lot of taxes on 401(k) withdrawals, is to take a lump sum distribution in company stock. This will allow you to pay capital gains taxes when you sell the stock rather than income taxes. My question is: can you get the capital gains rate immediately if your stock had been in the 401(k) for a year or do you have to wait a year after you take the stock to a taxable account?
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us