The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hi-josh-you-asked-i-guess-the-reason-i-hesitate-13192303.aspx

Subject:  Re: Friend for a Financial Planner Date:  8/25/2000  6:38 PM
Author:  JDWinNOLA Number:  24352 of 76418

Hi Josh, You asked I guess the reason I hesitate to move forward (and herein lies my question) is because he is a good friend. I trust him completely, but I know that emotions can run high especially when money is involved. Have (or do) any of you ever done this kind of business with a friend? My dad has some assets with a long-time family friend and I think it's been pretty much a wash--nothing great, nothing terrible. My first concern is our friendship. Any thoughts and/or experiences you can relate would be much appreciated.

I would think that I would not want a "Good Friend" to know my personal finances that closely. I don't even tell my daughters exactly what I have, much less my friends. I don't think you can remain friends with this advisor if you use him.

There are always exceptions but more friends have been lost over money than anything else, including girl friends. ;-)

Jim in New Orleans.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us