The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/josh-posted-quota-good-friend-of-mine-from-13195681.aspx

Subject:  Re: Friend for a Financial Planner Date:  8/26/2000  3:16 PM
Author:  BGPenhollo Number:  24370 of 75614

Josh posted..

"A good friend of mine from high school just recently completed training at American Express Financial Planners and is now beginning to build a client base. From a strictly business perspective, what his company offers sounds like an okay deal. There's a one-time planning fee of about $350 and the plan is supposed to cover a time frame of about 2 or 3 years."

I have only briefly looked at the AMEX funds and they are usually some of the worst funds available. AMEX FP's tend to recommend their funds which are load funds. I would think twice about dealing with an AMEX FP unless I was willing and understood that any money I invested with him was to help a friend - not expecting much in return other than knowing I was helping a friend.

As far as I know AMEX funds usually fall in the bottom quartile of returns. Go to Money.COM or SMARTMoney.COM and see how the AMEX funds rank.

BGP

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us