The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-dad-who-is-a-british-citizen-with-a-permanent-13199628.aspx

Subject:  Re: Inheritance tax exemption for foreign citize Date:  8/27/2000  6:36 PM
Author:  WPatch Number:  24390 of 76237

[My Dad, who is a British citizen with a permanent visa for living in the US, was told by his lawyer that the inheritance tax exemption on his estate will be on the order of only $60,000 rather than the $600,000 or so that it would be were he a US citizen.

This is apparently to prevent flight of capital out of the US as might happen if a wife who was a foreign citizen were to inherit.

All of my Dad's money was earned in the US and his heirs are US citizens so it seems that the possibility of fligh of capital out of the US is unlikely.

Can anyone shed more light on this subject for me?]

As your father is a residnt alien, he will be taxed on his estate the same as a U.S. citizen, with a $675,000 exemption amoount. Only a non-resident alien would be subject to the $60,000 exemption amount.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us