The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early CampFIRE


Subject:  Tax Matters - Foreigner investment in the US Date:  8/30/2000  5:04 AM
Author:  arlindofool Number:  16606 of 876398

Hy ER community,

Only recently have I been introduced to the Fool site and specially to the Retire Early Home Page.

For a couple of months now I have been reading the postings in the REHP, as well as studying the Fool investing guidelines, and I am definitely convinced that the ideas proposed by you guys are worth pursuing.

Not being an american or american resident, I have no access to 401´s or other tax deferred investments.

I´m convinced that investing my savings in stocks would be the main instrument to achieve my retire early goals.

I would like to invest my savings in the US stock markets but I´m not sure as to whether this is possible, or what would be the impact of Income Tax rules regarding the earnings.

I was wondering if any of you would have info or could point me to a site that could clarify my basic questions : a) can you as a foreigner, invest in Stocks in the US?
b)what sorts of taxes would be applicable to the related earnings?

Thanks to all in advance

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us